Yatta yatta global warming. We get it, humans stink and are ruining the world. Tired of being asked for donations and told of how yet another species has died off? Here are some easy ways to help animals and the environment without reaching into your pocket.
The world is abundant and we can make change!
1. Use goodsearch.com. It is a search engine that donates money to the organization of your choice. Super easy, simply search for terms like you would on google and watch as you rack up donations and feel good feelings.
2. Reduce, reuse, recycle. We heard it as children growing up, but the saying still works. My trash can is actually smaller than my recycling bin. If you live somewhere where recycling is not available, ask for it to be.
I love Earth911.com because you can search for locations to recycle almost anything, including outdated tv’s, couches, plastic wrap, etc, etc.
3. Pay bills online instead of on paper. It’s easy and quick. Plus, you can set up autopay and avoid late fees!
4. Switch your electricity to renewable energy. Austin Energy offers the switch to GreenChoice. I am currently using wind power, if I can remember correctly. All I had to do was go on to the login page to view my bill and look around on the page for the GreenChoice option. Other programs exist too that do the same thing. Surprisingly, the cost is not much different than other electricity.
5. Compost. It’s easy and saves you money since you will buy far fewer trash bags! Build yourown bin, buy one from a store, or get some old storage bins and poke holes at the top. After a few weeks you get to enjoy free fertilizer!! Don’t have a lawn? Ask a homeowner if they might want it.
Some compost bins do almost all of the work for you. Here’s an example, the Suncast TCB68oo Tumbling Composter.
Austin, and possibly other cities, offers a rebate for compost bins. Check it out at http://www.austintexas.gov/composting Up to a $75 value!
Check out 50 more ways to save the planet without much effort!